The FreeBalance Accountability Platform
The FreeBalance Accountability Platform has been designed for deployment options encountered in multi-tiered governments. It has also been designed to enable centralized and decentralized deployments and synchronization. The FreeBalance Accountability Platform supports the following deployment options:
- Centralized Web-Based Deployment
Supports the traditional method for the deployment of pure web-based solutions is through a centralized structure.
- Decentralized and developed deployment
Supports decentralized deployment of PFM functionality and multi-tiered synchronization for federal political systems or in situations where there is insufficient or non-existent network connectivity. This approach deploys simple government financial management functionality to sub-national governments with data synchronization (budget allocations from the central government and outturns from the sub-national government) when bandwidth is available or through the physical transfer of data.
- Hybrid centralized and decentralized
Supports a combined approach that can include
The ability for governments for self-sustaining systems that require a minimum of consulting assistance reduces long-term costs. This is often called the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). To ensure a low TCO, the following characteristics are included in the FreeBalance Accountability Platform:
- Modular approach
Ability to add modules over time enables governments to implement critical functions, based on the country context, quickly to achieve value.
- Support for modernization
Progressive activation to support reform and modernization.
- Reduce burden on IT for support
Optimized technical footprint reduces the burden on IT to manage computer systems, networks and middleware software.
The FreeBalance Accountability Platform is pure-web Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) platform designed for government financial management. Applications are deployed via Java Server Pages (JSP) supporting centralized, decentralized and hybrid deployment models.
Most government IT departments want software with 3-tier or n-tier architectures, which allows these applications to be scaled easier. Functionality can be extended to different devices. The FreeBalance Accountability Platform utilizes an n-tier architecture that includes the following:
- Separation of presentation, business logic and data layers
These three layers support extensibility including migrating to different display devices. It assists in identifying software problems and upgrading to new technology.
- Multiple business logic layers
The business logic layers of “entities”, “functions” and “applications” in the FreeBalance Accountability Platform can be viewed as multiple tiers.
Each tier can be scaled separately enabling governments to add equipment to meet added capacity. Vertical and horizontal scaling is supported.
The FreeBalance Accountability Platform is a technical software platform designed for government.
- Platform Foundation to support GRP modules operating on a wide variety of operating system, database, computer and Internet browser platforms including open source and commercial options
- Integrated Development Environment built on Eclipse to enable governments to develop specialized and unique GRP modules
- Systems Management to support maintaining systems, users and groups while managing archival, retrieval and system integrity check.
Capacity Building functionality is integral to the FreeBalance Accountability Platform design.
- Adaptable Help and Documentation updates standard system help and documentation to show government practices and assist users
- Knowledge Management tools to support government practice knowledge bases
- Change and Task Management tools to support government reform and modernization
The FreeBalance Accountability Suite is deployed securely in government information environments.
- Authentication and Authorization includes strong access and identity management
- Digital and Electronic Signatures includes biometric integration
- Secure Cheque Printing meets financial standards
Return to top